I’m slowly catching up on blogging about my (semi) recent quilting projects…
This is a quilt I made for my Mum who turns 80 in January. Partly because I don’t see her very often (she’s in New Zealand and I’m in Australia) I found it quite difficult to know what she’d like. Eventually I decided on a Michael Miller floral print that I had in my stash, matched with a number of solids. The quilt pattern was one I came across in an old quilting magazine. This was the first block (15″ square). A bit bright perhaps, but hopefully it will work with her brown/gold-coloured lounge suite.
The finished quilt was going to be 3 by 4 blocks, a decent size lap quilt. However, this size is still a challenge for me when it comes to quilting. I decided to try a version of quilt-as-you-go and pieced the quilt in two sections, each 2 by 3 blocks.
I decided to be brave and practice my free motion quilting, in the form of stippling, a first for me. It didn’t start well, my thread kept breaking but once I got that sorted I found a bit of rhythm.
After I had quilted both sections, leaving about 2-3 inches unquilted near the join, I sewed the top right sides together then slip-stitched the join on the back. Finally I quilted the section over the join. I was pretty happy with the process and it definitely made the FMQ so much easier… Here’s the final product.
Now just have to package it up and send it off. Hopefully Australia Post won’t kill me with postage costs.
This is my first post in a long time, I have caught the Instagram bug and have been posting most of my work there. My Instagram handle is @t_j_oliver. Anyway, my most recent project was a ‘commissioned’ quilt for a 10-year old boy whose favourite colours are currently red and black.
I love making children’s quilts as there are so many cute and adorable fabrics everywhere. However, I wanted to make something that a teenage boy wouldn’t be embarrassed to be seen with, so I put aside all my cute fabrics and went out shopping for some ‘manly’ designs.
In terms of quilt design, I wanted something fairly simple; quick to make and something not too fussy (and potentially girlie). This is what I came up with (I think some people call it a coin quilt (?)) I simply cut the fabric into random width strips and then into 14.5 inch lengths.
I decided to keep the quilting simple, again for speed and male aesthetics. I used straight-line quilting perpendicular to the strips, using random spacing in similar widths to the fabric strips.
The ‘customer’ had requested that his name be on the quilt label. I’ve recently seen a lot of very cool quilt backs around, and got the idea of foundation piecing a name for the back. I put this together out of leftover scraps together with some yardage of black and white polka dots…
I got up early in the morning for a photo shoot at the local skate park. Luckily skateboarders don’t seem to be morning people…
I’ve found that making EPP hexagons is quite addictive. I decided to see how small I could make a flower; this one measures about 5 cm (2 inches) across. I made up the hexagon templates in Word, and printed them off onto photo paper. It was about the right degree of stiffness.
I thought it would make a sweet little pin cushion.
I decided I wanted a quilting project to do on the couch over winter and I’ve also been thinking about having a go at english paper piecing. So last night I started converting my scrap bag to 1 1/4 inch hexagons. I have no idea what I’ll do with them.
According to an online calculator, if I want a queen size quilt, I’ll need nearly 1,200 of them!! I’m going to have to do a lot more quilting just to generate enough scraps 🙂
I decided to have a go at making another ‘softie’. This one was a bit easier, but sewing the base and head on wasn’t much fun. Although I did learn from last time and did some hand basting before trying to sew the fiddliest seams with the machine.
The pattern is called ‘Jude & Eloise’ from Ric Rac Sews.
I thought this would be a fun (and quick) Sunday morning project. However, I’ve never made anything like this before, and I was not expecting it to be so fiddly! Fitting all the seams together was quite tricky; I’m used to sewing straight seams.
The pattern is from the magazine Love Patchwork and Quilting, issue 2.
I just finished putting together the ‘goosing around’ cushion. It’s the first project I’ve ever done using foundation paper piecing and I loved how accurate the piecing is (not something I’m known for). It’s also the first cushion cover I’ve made, and I liked the fact that it was so quick to put together. It just uses an envelope style back (no zip necessary!).
I finished off the rainbow quilt yesterday and have hung it up in my sewing room. I had some trouble with the border quilting and the binding, but I am pretty happy with it overall.
I had a fun day quilting today, including starting my first foundation paper piecing project. It uses a a pattern by Kelly Liddle featured in
Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine (issue 6).
The cat was being ‘helpful’ as usual…
I was very happy with my attempt at free motion quilting in the sashing. But when I started quilting in the blocks it looked too messy, so I cheated and used a machine embroidery pattern.